Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday Thoughts...

Scott and I have had some interesting conversations and great map time over the last few days.  There has been a lot of prayer time mixed in with that, too, and we're just living right now and enjoying every bit of life.

Do you really want to do your PhD overseas? (me)

What is the value of an overseas PhD in the USA? (Scott)

Would you like to celebrate "big" in some meaningful way after you do your Masters and after you complete your PhD? (me)

What do you think about the celebrations?  Should it be something I've done before or something new? (Scott to me)

How do you feel about visiting Oregon? (me)

Crater Lake is in the central part or Oregon? (Scott)

Have you ever driven the 101? (me)

What do you think of U of U? (me)

We have not much a clue of what will happen, so here are the above questions with our current answers. 

Do you really want to do your PhD overseas? (me)

General Scott answer- maybe.  He's going to look at other options here, more specifically in Utah, as he'll have in-state residency for his second year of the Master's and why go through all of what Utah requires for that to be a reality for just a year?  Plus, we like it here!

What is the value of an overseas PhD in the USA? (Scott)

In chatting with a former professor's son, who is double PhD himself, Scott learned that overseas PhDs are sometimes seen differently than USA-earned PhDs.  There's more on which to research and pray.  Oh, and there's more future chats with professors to happen, too.

Would you like to celebrate "big" in some meaningful way after you do your Masters and after you complete your PhD? (me)

In short, yes, he would! 

What do you think about the celebrations? Should it be something I've done before or something new? (Scott to me)

I think that they should be what makes him happy and are meaningful, financially sound (smart), and he needs to decide if it's going to be a solo, Wendy-Scott, or Wendy-Scott-klds celebration.  I also suggested that the things he was interested in, but that he's done before (going to a concert, going to the beach, going to a restaurant) could be tweaked for a "new" version.  The other variable is the concert.  Who or what group/band will be in town (or within acceptable travel) when he completes his Masters?

How do you feel about visiting Oregon? (me)

Scott's a-okay with it.

Crater Lake is in the central part of Oregon? (Scott)

It's south central Oregon.

Have you ever driven the 101? (me)

Yes, he has.  He's fine with re-driving parts of it, too.

What do you think of U of U? (me)

There are some very attractive aspects of U of U for both of us.  They have some different PhD options for Scott and their continuing education programs are quite extensive!  Plus, it's reasonably close (Salt Lake City- okay, this is close) and if we chose to move from Ogden, there are housing options between SLC and Ogden were we to choose to transition that way.

That's where we are now.  We'll see where God and life take us.  For those curious, it was my trip after my Master's that lead me to fall in love with Utah.  I firmly believe in celebrating the "big" stuff in a smart way. 

For me, it meant driving across the country solo to visit national parks of which I'd dreamt.  For Scott, it appears that swimming in Crater Lake and hanging out in the surrounding area is his. 

One step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment